Reverse engineering and laser scanning services can be a great help for businesses to grow. A team of technicians is an expert in rendering reverse engineering and 3d scanning services suitable for countless industries. 3d scanning services are available in different forms such as laser scanning, structured light, and photogrammetry, etc. 3d scanning services uses structured light technology capturing accurate and highly detailed models of physical objects. With 3d scanning and reverse engineering, technicians use the latest technology to simplify workflows. Both the processes work hand in hand. The scanned data streamlines the manufacturing process resulting in accurate objects. The technicians redesign and improve the object by removing the flaws.
Advantages of 3d scanning services-
- Saves time and cost- If your design is inspired by an existing object, 3d scanner can capture every minute detail. With the 3d scanned data, you can reverse engineer the object and add new elements to it.
- Simplifying the prototyping process- Earlier, technicians had to create several prototypes to finalize the object. With 3d scanning services, you can reduce the number of prototype cycles. With a consistent comparison of 3d scanned data, the process would highlight the flaws.
- Re-manufacture parts – If you don’t have the original CAD drawings, you can use 3d scanning and reverse engineering services to manufacture the parts. Especially, the automotive sector can benefit from reverse engineering services to create spare parts and assemblies.
- Cost-effective solutions- The different stages like designing, scanning, prototyping and manufacturing have a cost. With the utilization of digital scanning and reverse engineering services, you can reduce the cost and time of manufacturing an object by 75%.
- Quality control- To improve total quality management in the manufacturing process, 3d scanning and reverse engineering processes play an important role. With scanned data and CAD models, quality control can be achieved.
Reverse engineer with scanned data
If you already have a scanned data, you can perform a reverse engineering process accompanied with 3d printing process. With different processes like designing, testing, optimization, re-designing, and manufacturing, technicians can create high-quality 2d and 3d products and components. Reverse engineering is a great alternative to traditional manufacturing processes. It reduces the time of manufacturing a product from months to weeks. It is a radical process that improves the workflow of business considerably. It is all about trimming the manufacturing process by eliminating unnecessary steps.
The stages of 3d scanning and reverse engineering process
The starting point is an existing product or item. Reverse engineering is an efficient way to refine and re-design it. With in-house 3d laser scanning services, the technicians quickly capture the fine details and produce high-quality captured data pushed to create a CAD model. If some details are not captured effectively, 3d HD laser scanning services can be applied to analyze tooling and create new CAD drawings.
- Sculptured models- Sometimes hand tools are used to capture data. It is usually done when the original shapes are very important. Computer remodeling becomes too restrictive. To produce a highly technically detailed drawing, 3d HD laser scanning is used to record complex information.
- Prototypes- The design process continues with original CAD drawings through prototypes. Modifications are updated in the design to include highly captured details to refine the design.
- Production items- When technical specifications are not available for producing an item. For an old product, reverse engineering allows to re-design and manufacture a product effectively.
The reverse engineering process involves creating CAD models of damaged or worn parts by extracting the core design. 3d scanning is the best way to collect the original data and create a CAD model.
Stage 1- 3d scanning process- Several latest technologies are available to perform the 3d scanning process describing the geometric properties of the object. The raw scanned data is known as Point cloud” that captures dimensions of the object. This data is used as a guide for inspection reports and CAD models.
Stage 2- Inspection reports- After scanning the object, a more detailed analysis is done to verify the accuracy of the product. The data can be analyzed in different ways that speed up the workflow enabling complex analysis. It includes 3d color maps, 3d dimensions, geometry deviation, airfoil analysis, 2d twist analysis, dent inspection, deviation location, boundary deviation, etc.
Stage 3- Creating a mesh model- Before creating a final model, a mesh model is created from the point cloud data. It is done by connecting the points. Even the mesh model is used for inspection and used as a guide for a CAD model. Many technicians share the inspection reports and mesh model with the clients for constructive inputs. Many features like embossed text, dents, or basic geometry can be extracted from the mesh model.
Stage 4- Creating a CAD model- A CAD model is created with the help of inspection reports and a mesh model. Is the CAD model accurate? It can be checked against the initial scanned data to ensure the accurate representation of an object. To personalize the design and include the client’s specifications, the CAD model is created.
Many companies approach 3d scanning and printing firms to reverse engineer products as the original CAD model is not available. Reverse engineering is also used to develop the existing product to increase manufacturing and overall production times. It is suitable for those companies without sufficient documentation for manufacture.Reverse engineering is the process of analyzing an existing product to understand its detail, how it is manufactured, and how it works.
Why opt for reverse engineering?
- Gaps in design documentation- it is one of the most common reasons for choosing the reverse engineering process.
- Obsolescence issues – when the parts are no longer made and technology has updated, reverse engineering can help in creating improved products.
- To identify the reasons for product failure – If your product failed, you can identify its reasons using reverse engineering.
- Improve the manufacturing process – Trim the manufacturing process with reverse engineering and create a quality product within a short period.
- To innovate – Innovate products with existing products by eliminating the flaws of the original product.